Wednesday 10 June 2015

Birth Stories: Miss L (2013)

Monday, April 1st

To set the stage, I had started having regular contractions every 5-6 minutes the previous Thursday (March 28th). They were consistent and intense enough that I was convinced I was in labour. We even went as far as sending our daughter to my parents' place. And then... nothing. The contractions stay consistent but never get any closer together or stronger. The weekend passes and I grow more and more frustrated as nothing seems to be happening.

8:00 - My hubby jokingly posts on Facebook that our daughter was born (April Fool's!). I wasn't due until Thursday (April 4th).

9:30 - I head to my O.B. appointment. My daughter is dropped off with my parents.

10:00 - My O.B. tells me I am 3cm dilated. She suggests going for a nice long walk to move things along. So we leave her office and head to the mall, because the weather outside wasn't great.

12:00 - I watch my almost 5-month-old sleeping niece while my four-year-old niece gets her ears pierced (the stroller didn't fit into the store very well). Contractions are intensifying, enough to take my breath away. I continue to walk around the mall, having to stop walking every time a contraction hits, which is about every 3-4 minutes.

14:00 - Having used the excuse of being labour to get hubby to buy me stuff, we finally go to a store so he can try on some shirts. While he is in the dressing room, my contractions suddenly intensify. I tell him we have to go. My contractions are about 3 minutes apart now. So we drive to my parents house, where everybody gathers and prays over me and little baby.

16:00 - We arrive at the hospital, where they tell me that I am not yet in "active labour" (I almost cry) and that I am not "miserable enough yet" for them to admit me to L&D (labour & delivery). My O.B. who met us at the hospital checks me and says I am not any more dilated. *sigh*. She tells me to go for a walk around the hospital to help things move along. 

17:00 - After about an hour of walking (and a slice of pizza from the cafeteria!), where my contractions became about 2 minutes apart. Walking is slow. I am trying my best to keep walking with the promise it will help speed things up. My body is already exhausted.

17:30 - They decided to check me again, and said I was ALMOST another half a centimetre. Half a centimetre! I want to cry. They let me hang out in the bed in triage for another thirty minutes or so. My hormones are raging out of control at this point, but I still manage to be polite and calm.

18:30 - My O.B. comes and checks me again, and accidentally breaks my water. All over my socks that I JUST put on! Haha. My next contraction hits and it hurts much worse. Because my waters have ruptured they have to admit me, so I slowly make my way to my birthing room. I shower to get all the amniotic goop off myself and change out of my clothes into a hospital gown and sports bra.

19:00 - My contractions haven't gotten any closer together but are much more painful. My whole body shakes with every contraction. At some point my family got to the hospital, although I couldn't remember when. It took every ounce of energy I had not to burst into tears. I am thankful at that point that I scarfed down a slice of pizza, or I would have been out of energy. I am almost at 5cm.

20:30 - I ask my nurse for an epidural. Those fifteen minutes waiting for the anaesthesiologist are the longest, worst of my life.

20:45 - I get the epidural and my body quiets down. I am able to grab a couple short naps but am woken by contractions as they get worse and worse. The nurse gives me a button to push to administer an extra dose of the epidural drugs whenever the pain gets too intense. I push the crap out of that button over the next few hours.

22:00 - I am about 6cm. I rely on those around me to give me strength. My hubby, my mom and my sisters. Everyone keeps me in good spirits. My 18-month-old daughter and four-year-old niece are sleeping in the waiting room. I feel guilty for keeping everyone up all night.

Tuesday, April 2nd

24:00 - Almost 7cm. Wave after wave of pain wash over me and drag away what little energy I have left.

2:00 - I am finally at 10cm. I over-abused the epidural button and have no feeling whatsoever in my lower half. I need help to get my legs up in the stirrups. My contractions suddenly slow down, but in no time I am pushing.

2:37 am - Miss L decides to finally join us! She comes out, our little white lady, screaming her head off but absolutely perfect. Her hair is absolutely white and she is gorgeous!

My White Lady
Weight: 8lbs 5oz
Notes: I much preferred going into labour versus being induced. It felt more natural and my body had a much easier recovery. Plus, no tearing!

What about you? Were you induced or did you have a natural labour? Let me know in the comment section!

Have a good one!
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment